flanging 98

Enerfab finally gave Brighton an office.  A real office building.


When I first started there were three offices in our plant.  One for the plant supervisor, the maintenance supervisor, and the quality control supervisor.  There was a scheduler’s desk at a window looking out over the shop.  And that was it.  But at that time Brighton also owned the fabrication plant next door, and all of their offices, our sales offices, and the Hock’s offices were over there.  I never worked in the fabrication plant, so was rarely over there.  We did have a series of meetings there for a while.  But these meeting never lasted, not until the new and improved safety program (another post).  Every other time we ever started regular meetings, for whatever reason, they were discontinued, for whatever reason.

When Trinity bought Brighton, they closed the fabrication plant and sold the building and land.  Cincinnati Sub-Zero moved in.  I have no idea what they do, but they have been doing it very well, since they just built a huge 3-story building on the site.  Anyway, several storage closets adjoining the office were gutted to make more office space in our building.  Geoff L. threatened to kick us out of our break room and turn it into offices, but he never did.  Several crappy looking trailers were brought in and took over a good portion of our parking lot, to make offices for our sales force.  They were pretty shoddy looking.  It wasn’t an impressive sight to present to prospective customers, I’m sure.

When Enerfab bought us, the sales force and most of the management personnel were moved into offices at the Spring Grove plant.  Several were let go.  Matt H., our maintenance supervisor, and Rick S., our quality control supervisor, were fired, since Enerfab had their own supervisors in those positions.  But Mark L. and Bruce K. relocated to the Spring Grove plant.  The only office person to remain at Sharonville was the second shift foreman, Larry F., who became the first shift foreman since there was only one shift, and a skeleton crew at that.  9 months or so later, when the head shop closed at Spring Grove and moved into the Sharonville plant, all of the office personnel moved back with it.  Matt H. and Rick S. had been called back to work by then, also.  But the sales force and the material requisition personnel remained at the Spring Grove plant.  There was just no room for them at the Sharonville plant.  Those crappy trailers had been moved out after Enerfab bought us.

So Mark L. began agitating for a new office building.  Sometime in the late 00’s, I forget exactly what year, Enerfab relented, and built a stand-alone office building.  The sales force came back to Sharonville, and Mark L. moved his office into it.  It’s a good-looking building.  And Mark was determined to keep it looking good.  He insisted we either change out of our work boots to come over there, or put on plastic slippers over our work boots.  This didn’t bother me, I was used to wearing these slippers.  If I had to climb into a head with a finished polish on the inside, I put down felt to protect the finish, and also slipped these plastic things on over my work boots, just in case I stepped off the felt.  No way was I taking a chance to mar the surface and have to put the head back onto the polisher.  Anyway, the material requisition people remained at the Spring Grove.  They must have liked it there and wanted to stay, or I’m sure Mark would have made room for them in his new office building.  Their office had been out in the weld building Trinity had erected when they first bought us, before they started sucking all the money out of our operation.  So Rick S. moved the quality control office out there, which opened up an office in our building for Bruce K.  Before him, there was never an office for the foreman, he was expected to remain out on the floor.  Our personnel manager, Cheryl K., was also let go when Enerfab bought us.  She never came back.  Mark agitated for our own personnel manager, too, but Enerfab never relented on that.  We have the same personnel manager as Enerfab.  It’s worked out fairly well.  Melinda G. handled the partial disability payments I drew for the 2 times I was off from work for an extended time, 2 months in 2010 and nearly 3 months in 2016, and she helped me set up all the paperwork for my retirement.  So I’ve had no complaints.

The only complaint I have about the new office building is it took over prime parking spaces.  More about that in the next post.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s